Re: Leontiev

From: Carl Ratner (cr2@humboldt1.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 17:28:49 PDT

together:
  I think that one has to decide on the essential concepts/elements of a
viable cultural psychological approach. These need to be logically coherent
among themselves. All the related facets of the approach should be logically
coherent as well. I think this is the essence of scientific thinking.
Einstein explained this in great detail. He firmly believed in identifying a
small core of essential principles that underlie all phenomena. In
developing a cultural psychology, IF we agree w. Marx & Leontiev that the
social organization of activities is basic to psychological phenomena, and
that the social relations of production are the most impt. activity within a
social system, then all of our concepts about self, agency, personality,
emotions, cognition, mental illness, etc. would have to construe these as
originating in, bearing the characteristics of, and functioning to
recapitulate the social organization of activities, and especially of
economic activity. Any concepts about psychological change would also have
to be related to concepts of social change.
  These, of course, are all daunting questions. But I believe that this is
the general approach that cultural psychs. need to explore. It would
comprise a logically coherent conceptual system. I don't think that progress
will be made by trying to combine antithetical conceptual viewpoints such as
marxism + individualism + Freudianism. That's why I believe it is impt. to
distinguish conceptual systems, decide which is primary, and then extract
elements of other systems that can be logically integrated with the basic
one.
  Does this make sense?
  Carl

--