chat/sociocultural?

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 11:39:38 PDT

Dianne-- I was not sure what you were asking in your note, but it
seemed like the relation between sociocultural and chat perspectives.
Is that right?

Your noticing that the range of participants is narrow coincides with
a similar noticing by me, which turned up some quantative data
indicating that over the past couple of years the range of
participation has indeed narrowed somewhat, although it is still
pretty broad if one counts one time/two time contributors over a
period of several months.

We will be getting to the Leontiev discussion soon and it occurred to
me that it would be interesting if those who have written two or
three times in the last, say, week, explicitly did NOT write, and
that we have a period of querying/discussion issue proposing by
those who have NOT been writing. Of course, who knows if that
would work?

I am really curious about the range of topics people WANT to discuss.
And of course, people have a perfect right to simply read.

On what I assume to be your topic-- do you assume that something
called sociocultural studies was there before somethning called chat
or that they were parallel worlds and you simply knew of one earlier,
or????
mike