Re: freedom & responsibility

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 19:00:35 PDT

Judy,

Fine Judy, when you get the time, I'd like to know what's in your mind about it or in any theory of mind you are aware of, that convinces you that there is some great difference between the two. I also can make a distinction -- my favorite example being the bob dylan verse, "Yes I know about your debutante, but she just knows what you need, and I know what you want" -- but it's very clear to me that something like Maslow's pyramid of needs converts needs into desires as one moves down toward the base. So I'm very suspect of the dividing line, and in any event can't see how it can be located in the individual which seems to be the intent of your desire to introduce a "discourse" about desire into the place of the discredited "discourse" about freedom.

Paul