Re(2): freedom & responsibility (2)

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 19:15:49 PDT

>insofar as action that could have been known or reasonably suspected at
>the time of acting was instrumental in bringing about disaster or
>humanity.
>
><<<<
 judy writes -

>The INSOFAR is the bug, I'm afraid -- ours is not the freedom of the
>gods. It's so contingent on our capacity SEE ahead, see the effects yet
>to come -- wh. seems to me largely the capacity to listen to perspectives
>other than our own. The 'freedom' of the sociohistorically postioned --
>it's blind otherwise. like we're destined to repeat to repeat ourselves,
>otherwise... >>>>

i don't know how much we can anticipate the outcomes of our choices - so
much as we have to learn to expect outcomes, that is, there will be
consequences that occur because of choices we make, and rather than assume
that we can anticipate them, and risk impairing the ability to act at all,
it might be possible to think about this as the
responsibility=aspect of choices, or the freedom to choose to act in
certain ways.
this is where you are right, we do repeat the same actions when we cannot
understand ourselves in ways that our accountable,
or refuse to assume responsibility for the outcomes of our choices,
and again, i think it helps to situate these ideas/activities here in this
discussion,
where responses do take place, in response-to the choices people make about
what to write, how, and to whom,
these are the incidents that portray the kinds of freedom-responsibility
that
makes sense to me, anyhow.

incidents that are larger and more distant, such as the ways white people
have actively terrorized african-americans, for example,
don't help to develop an understanding of black ghettos and slums in urban
america.
this is where humanity crimes are repeated, but in ways that are
incomprehensible as a relation to white dominance.
if we can't understand how this works on an individual level, in other
words,
we can never comprehend it on the larger scale of social effects.

>Playing Pollyanna (apply sing-song intonation)

la-la-la, tra-la-la-la-la-laaaaaaa!
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu