Re: RE: Re(2): ilyenkov-ideal: synopsis >>> "consciousness", freedom

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 17:50:07 PDT

Alfred sez,

>>No, in my view, freedom and responsibility are better candidates for
>>crucial qualities of humans in culture than anything else. Will you
>>readers now call me an idealist?

and nate replies
>Internalization, consciousness, freedom are centerally a form of politics
>and it seems wrong to give them a transcendental quality that puts
>politics
>outside that process. In this sense they are all material - they occur and
>get meaning from social practice. To say or pretend there is a natural
>state
>called freedom where there are no masters just seems wrong.

perhaps i missed something - but where in alfred's remarks is the
indication that the "qualities of a human culture" such as freedom are not
material? it seemed to me that alfred was placing these notions of freedom
in material contexts of interactions -
i think the problem is what we all mean by "freedom" and
"responsibility"... -
freedom can mean so many things - nate, you don't say anything about
responsibility.
where does responsibility fit in your scheme of freedom?
diane
                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu