Re: Animal consciousness

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 08:21:12 PDT

rosa -
thank you SO much for your account of animal consciousness, and the social
interactions that produce these kinds of possibilities -
i was thinking about whales, and humpbacks in particular, who have their
own sophisticated language and social relations, and while humans may
think they invented culture, of course any social group produces a
culture, even whales, and their visitation practices, what we reduce to
"migration" as opposed to purposeful travel,
- whales raise their babies much better than humans,
and they sing without dogma, i'll bet, too.
the trick about thinking on animal consciousness, as i've written
elsewhere, is not how can we make them communicate with us,
but how can we learn to listen and learn from them? especially given all
the varied and
complex social dimensions of certain mammals,
it seems to me we have more to learn from their social realms.

thanks again rosa, i think we have to really think about consciousness as
something that is a little more complex than what humans write about.
or, at least, that would be an ideal approach. :)

diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu