RE: Re(2): Ideal - Ilyenkov

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 18:12:11 PDT

Jan,

Ilyenkov, like Vygotsky, or whoever - importantly points towards how ______
has a social, cultural, and historical exsistance. Now, if we take Ilyenkov
at his word that this is how the ideal works - it seems to me to open
various questions including political ones.

In particular and my reference to "historical transcedentalism" is, is there
this "reason" or systems of reason which can be assumed neutral. Lenin's
comments on logic comes to mind in which to quote Leontev, "“The practical
activity of man, ” notes V. I. Lenin, “must have brought the consciousness
of man a million times to the repetition of various logical figures in order
that these figures might acquire the significance of axioms". This leaves
me with a feeling of some neutral, objective form of reasoning that is
somehow seperate from social practice. A logic that occurs through history
or life activity instead of the head of Kant. Now if were going to explain
some form of reasoning lets say critical thinking this seems to make a
certain amount of sense. I am thinking about Luria here and how certain ways
of thinking emerge from historical activities like schooling. On the other
hand if we are talking about ways of reasoning or concepts that while still
being social-historical but having a life of their own so to speak that
seems a little different.

 I read Marx's 1944 manuscript the other night and it seems to have some
significance here. Is abstracting reasoning, cognition, consciousness from
human activity a good or inevitable thing. Maybe this goes back to what the
ideal is limited to - does it incorporate just the "abstraction" of the
reasoning or more of social practice. An artifact and there material-ideal
qualities seem to convey more that just a form or type of reasoning, also
cultural values, beliefs, choices of what is important.

Really where I was going toward was the ideal being limited to "reason" in
your, "There is a danger both of understanding the realm in
which we act within - as open to conscious open-ended individual
construction and of misunderstanding that the ‘space of reasons’ (our ‘ideal
’ activity laid down in the world over centuries) has a local and
ahistorical character (and thus can be modified at will." Is that where its
boundary ends as an entity? Is it limited to the abstraction of reason from
social activity through history?

Nate