Re: Re(2): Ideal - Ilyenkov

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 05:21:28 PDT

>We so cherish the idea that we have something called free will and that this
>is an individual quality.

Paul, thanks for your thoughtful response (especially because it is the
only response so far to questions addressed to others besides you - now
what does THIS exemplify in current xmca-land?) My messages have been
somewhat less thoughtful, but they stand for genuine, if not well-phrased,
questions. Actually, i don't think of will (or desire) as an individual
quality. Will (and desire -- the 2 are intimately linked, aren't they?) are
inherently social phenomena, artifactually constructed.

The Bergson example of "peak experiences" is worth returning to, & I plan
to pick it up again, but first let me ask how it differs from Cz*** 's
"flow" experience, which can be experienced by a writer or artist or
individual engaged in any social practice. I am not alone in presuming that
an individual's participation in a new (to him or her) discourse depends on
that person's taking up a different social identity. You apparently object
to a Discourse about multiple Discourses. The problem, as I understand it,
spans "levels" of social reality. There are politics among groups played
out on a big societal stage and micropolitics that occur on the same
societal stage, but played out in temporally more fleeting, but not
ineffectual over the long haul, terms.

If Cz***k's "flow" experience is not substantively different from Bergson's
"peak" experiences then B's example of course needs some qualification, but
the collective pleasure of subjects engaged in collective resistance to
some dominant practice is still worth getting back to.

you wrote:
>A basic rethinking of our
>concept of "will" might lead to a much more fruitful way of thinking about
>co-construction,

=- with this I completely agree, but I do not agree that the objective, the
ideal, is/ can be understood (formulated; dare I say "constructed"?) from a
universal perspective. will & desire (which govern subjectivity, whether
individual or collective, no?) may be opposed to "the ideal" but what
counts as will, what one desires, varies across social groups, as does "the
ideal" which is defined in contrast to that which is "ONLY subjective"

Well, I sense that I have not said what I want to say, but I've spent too
long on email already. I look forward to some help in the worrying of these
distinctions.

judy

 Bergson, a philosopher about as far removed from