Ilyenkov

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 10:49:36 PDT

The only time I met Ilyenkov was on an outing to Zagorsk. He, like
Mikhailov, took a great interest in the enculturation/education
of the blind-deaf as an important testbed for ideas about culture
and development.

At that time, all meetings between non-Soviet and Soviet scholars
were highly freighted with danger for the Soviet participants and
those who championed the cause of the blind-deaf were in a semi-
dissident status..... which, combined with enormous amounts of
alcohol, gave meetings a pretty intense character.

Interestingly, many among the younger generation of Russians think that
Ilyenkov, and for that matter, ALL of the Russian scholars who tend to
turn up in our discussions, were/are totally corrupted by their
participation in Soviet life and reject them out of hand on those
grounds. It makes discussion a touch difficult!
mike
./