Re(3): Ideal - Ilyenkov

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 19:50:56 PDT

- i realize that my interests concerning where this particular
consciousness is located
might seem like an irritant to some,
but i expect the implications are relevant, in terms of humanity or social
compassion,
that so long as certain theoretical frames insist that humans are the
only animal that matters, and that consciousness only matters in the
contexts of those
who most abuse their powers,
then aiy aiy aiy that explains a lot about current ecological crisis',
other animal extinction crisis', general geo-biological devastations and
perhaps even symptomatic of how the most technologized cultures tend to
treat their children.
i have such a hard time believing that the consciousness of men's writing
is
expected to include the consciousness of women's reading,
let alone their participating in these powerful discourses.

but let not me bitch along the same olde roade of who dominates these
discussions,
and instead permit myself to accept that for some,
the ideal of this consciousness is profoundly relevant for advancing
social compassion
in the realms where these conversations take place, such as the
university.
for myself, i'd take my chances with the whales anyday. at least they
sing. :)

diane
might we also continue the semiotic-ecology discussion while stroking this
ideal
consciousness at the same time?
we left off at an interesting place as i recall.

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu