Re: Ideal - Ilyenkov

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 14:01:02 PDT

Helena,

Bakhurst's study "Consciousness and Revolution in Soviet Philosophy" is the
source that will provide you with many, many answers to the historical
questions in the first chapter, also Ilyenkov's relationship to Vygotsky
and AT in general. It's definitely a must if you want to study Ilyenkov in
depth.

I agree with your approach to question 4 and this reminds me to redirect
myself to Marx's 1844 manuscripts where he develops his idea of alienated
labor (not simply commidified labor) in detail. But my question also goes
in the direction of how we do that -- are there then domains of ideality?
In studies of pre-capitalist economics a great deal of attention is paid to
circuits of goods that can and can't exchange against each other.
(capitalism of course breaks all of this down and everything eventually can
exchange against everything else on the basis of the ideal: value,
mystificatorily re-presented as money) This brings up the further
question/theme: the division of labor and the objective need to share the
product among the collective group (community)_being the basis for the
original formation of consciousness of a substance that was precisely the
group's activity on the environment: ideality. Some swampy territory is out
there in the area of primate studies: eg, chimp mothers continuing to
share with offspring for years after weaning .

hmm . . . you've written a lot today, i'm going to read and respond with
greater care.. i also want to respond to the question of "intellect" and
"consciousness" with an eye to the issue of "multiple intelligences".

Paul H. Dillon