Re: white noise

From: Paul Prior (p-prior@uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 18:11:07 PDT

>Paul P-- hope you found my sensory isolation versus total coordination
>message less inscrutable than PHD.
>mike

Mike, it seemed clear enough to me, but it reframed the issues in a way I
hadn't thought of before and am still pondering. I'd related the
disruption of the typically perceived world (whether by white noise or
fixation) to communication, coordination, and consciousness, but hadn't
thought of the white noise/fixation *as* coordination and discoordination,
more as variation. I have thought about discoordination/coordination in
relation to dialogics (Bakhtin, Lotman), i.e. that if any semiotic code
became truly fully shared (perfect coordination) then you'd have
mechanistic communication, like we sometimes characterize (caricature) the
language of bees, and that if you had zero sharing, then you'd have no
communication, so the Pascal ref made sense to me too. And I liked
Alfred's linking of fixation to the activity of the organism/person, i.e.,
the way we work to produce certain balances of stability, instability,
which also reminded me of some of Luria's discussions of eye gaze patterns
when looking at pictures among people who had suffered neurological damage
and those who had not.

Paul Prior
Associate Professor (English)
Associate Director, Center for Writing Studies
p-prior@uiuc.edu