RE: SemEco - function circle in ecosystems / I-E coordination

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 06:27:10 PDT

Re: SemEco - function circle in ecosystems / I-E coordAlfred,

Where does this all take things like "psychology" and "development". I
remember years ago reading Bruner and agreeing with his argument for
individual / environment being more constituted, he used the term "folk
psychology" I think, but wondered if the psychology component was reduced of
any meaning. A similar argument could be made of development with terms such
as "development in context" where development loses all meaning.

Now, it seems to me both concepts, "abstractions", hold onto the view that
there is in fact a seperation between individual and world, environment, or
context demonstrated by the need to put them "back" together. There is of
course some base for putting them back together because in the states for
one (abstraction or otherwise) the seperation is very "real".

So, is there an organism in a SemEco framework, or would it be more similar
to the notion of cyborg. Organism - however its defined individual, context,
culture, society etc - would imply a closure that would interact with other
organisms-non organisms.

Speaking personally, the lines are not as easily defined as is often
assumed. Would affinity help here in that while there maybe are not
staraight lines there are dotted ones (affinity maybe) in which certain
relationships can be explored. Actually Paul's instructional unit comes to
mind, although it is of course theorized differently, pointing toward the
relationship the instructional unit plays in the teacher and student's
activity systems. My take, Paul's maybe different of course, is that the
activity systems are open, but we need need a "concrete universal",
"affinity", "boundary object" in which to explore various relationships. I
realize correlating these three may provoke certain reactions and while
there are of course differences I find interesting similarities between
them.

Putting aside if are night time prayers are directed toward Kant, Hegel, or
Marx, for me interesting affinities emerge.

Nate