Re: isolation experiments

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 14:36:03 PDT

mike,

the wonderful thing about your messages is that they are so cryptic that one
can interpret them almost anyway one chooses although I know there's a
message in there and i suspect I know what you're saying, but . . . white
noise ? ? ?

anyway, your question about "perfect coordination" reminded me of a passage
from the Ken Kesey novel "Sometimes a Great Notion" that describes how the
four members of the Stamper family worked as a team cutting timber and
getting it down into the river (Oregon you know) . . . Kesey's description
of the harmony with which they worked, the perfect coordination is so
great!! it could well be considered a literary example of the kind of
supra-individual group "cognition" that i've seen written about vis a vis
air traffic controllers, but an amazing description, compares the Stampers
cutting timber to the John Coltrane Quartet . . . I don't have the book
anymore, actually read back many years ago -- summer of '68 when I had been
removed from circulation due to draft difficulties --- anyway I'll look for
it and post the passage when I find it. It could almost be considered an
elegy of activity theory.

I can see how perfect discoordination might apply here but not the opposite.
Been thinking a lot lately about the possibilities on the statement: In the
(right/wrong) place at the (right/wrong) time. Seems like a wonderful
heuristic for traditional logic because it clearly distinguishes the merely
contrary from the truly contradictory.

Paul H. Dillon