RE: some refs

From: Nate Schmolze (nate_schmolze@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 10:54:52 PDT

Paul,

I assume this was not intended as a public message, but either way, I have a
difficult time understanding how such a framing sets a useful frame in which
to discuss the book. I do hope the discussion of the book is not with the
objective to have a battle for the soul of activity theory - whatever that
may be. It feels to me as world war 3 is about to start with attempts to
draw a battleline.

This is not how I see the book. I think with the interest that has been
expressed it can serve as a "boundary object" of sorts in which members from
a variety of theoretical frameworks will find the book engaging and
pertinent to their work. The goal of getting others involved from Europe is
the opposite as you portray. If anything there is more of a point of
emphasizing the importance of Marx in academic writings. We recently
received a message from Jan who edited a book on Ilyenkov who is part of the
Birmingham group we are attempting to get involved in this project. This is
about collaboration and realizing that other players are interested in such
a project such as those in Finland and Birmingham who are currently applying
some of these ideas. I would assume that since a lot of this work is not
freely available in the states, and it has implications to your own work you
recently shared, you would be more receptive with attempts at getting more
parties involved.

Nate

Nate Schmolze
http://members.home.net/schmolze1/