Cultural-Historical business meeting event

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 22:02:11 PDT

Dear Cultural Historical SIG members and sympathizers (i.e., hopefully
future sig members :-) --

We (King Beach and Eugene Matusov) decided to experiment with a new format
of decision making about the annual sig business meeting event. Instead of
SIG officers deciding it, we want to call for proposals that will be
submitted via an Internet web form and will be visible for all body of sig
members and sig sympathizers (i.e., hopefully future sig members :-). After
the deadline for the submission pass (see below), 2-week web voting on
proposals will start to define three most popular proposals. We want to have
three most popular proposals rather than just one to have some logistical
leeway since sometimes good ideas logistically impossible to realize.

It is three-step process. First, we expect that you submit proposals for the
business meeting event via our sign website. Second, you will vote to choose
3 most appealing proposals. Third, the sig executive committee will select
one of them.

The purpose of the business event is a scholarly interchange of ideas within
the CH-SIG foci AND to attract a good crowd to the SIG meeting to help with
recruitment

I. Format of business event proposal (the event should be planned for no
longer than 90 min to give another 30 min for discussion of our sig
business). The business meeting event will follow 30-45 minute discussion of
SIG business and may have whatever format: a symposia, guest speaker,
debate. etc. you do not need to be an active participant of the event to
make a proposal (e.g., you may suggest to invite an interesting presenter).

This is a separate submission process from the usual proposals, and that
already submitted AERA proposals
should not be used as proposals for the business meeting session.

The format of the proposal is:

1) Catchy title of the business event you are proposing
2) Your email address
3) Are you a sig member? Yes No
4) Your name (First, Last)
5) Description of the event, its format, participants, phases
6) Why do you think sig will interested in the event? What is hot issues of
education and sig will it discuss?
7) How engaging and interacting will it be and why?

Note: We welcome proposals from both sig members and sig sympathizers (i.e.,
hopefully future sig members :-)

The deadline for submission of the proposals is September 15th The website
address to submit the proposal is
http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu/CH-SIG/Business%20event,%20prop.htm

II. Voting on the proposals will start on September 16th and will be open
through September 25th. All people are welcome to vote, however only sig
member votes will be decisive while non-member votes will be advisory and
visible on the web.
The vote format is:
1) Your name (First, Last)
2) Your email address
3) Are you a sig member? Yes No
4) What are your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for the sig business meeting
event?

We'll announce the website address to vote later.

III. After proposals are posted, we will vote to select three most popular
proposals one of which will be selected by the sig executive committee based
on feasibility of the proposal. The selected proposal will be announced some
time in October.

To join the sig, please, go at
http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu/CH-SIG/Membership%20form.asp

Visit CH sig website at http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu/CH-SIG/

For questions and info please contact Eugene Matusov at ematusov@udel.edu

Take care,

King Beach (the sig president) and Eugene Matusov (the sig program officer)