Re: theory minded addendum

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 08:53:47 PDT

bill the brain asks
>My
curiosity
> has
>been burning with these assertions of adult development -- and I wish to
>implore those on this list who are well versed -- how can these
>statements be qualified by later studies??? Who can I read to learn more?

from a neurological perspective, the brain is ceaselessly producing new
cells and synaptic relations, the myth that brain cells die and are never
replaced is false,
and in fact we do get better-brains as we age - adult development is
closely related to the amount of social activity a person engages with as
s/he ages, the diversity of lifestyle,
the activity level, the nutrition, and most most most important,
the social relations (having them) and the work of being receptive to new
ideas and activity.
i mean, sorry this isn't a rocket science answer. but i've read a lot
about aging and these are the general ideas about the process,

and while we may call it "development" it's also aging. or maybe i've
misinterpreted you, bill. have i? can you help me to understand your
burning question?
it's so important to nurture the discussion here, don't you think? :)

diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu