grand old man

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 08:25:45 PDT

I first learned of the phrase "grand old man" when I was a grad student of the former grad student of a fellow named John Strong. Strong accomplished, among other deeds, the silvering of the primary mirror on the Mt. Palomar telescope, a first for something that large and delicate. Strong had referred to a prominent someone else, who had influenced his own work when he was young, as a "grand old man", and being young, I thought the term befitted Strong quite well. My sincere and copious compliments to all grand old men as, partway to becoming an old man myself, I can see why only a small minority of old men have reached the state of being "grand".

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley College
29 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
 and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]