RE: one what?

From: Geoff.Hayward (geoff.hayward@educational-studies.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 01:47:20 PDT

I have found the recent exchange about Unit of Analysis rather interesting
and helpful, but alos a little confusing for a new comer to activity theory.
Let me try and explain my confusion and then perhaps someone can help me out
of it. I arrived at Activity Theory as a way of trying to make sense of
learning within a variety of school based activities, ranging from the
learning of science to the development of economic understanding. It seemed
to me that the constructivist "theories" of learning dominating science
education took the inidividual as the unit -of-analysis but when I went into
classrooms what I saw was a whole series of individuals trying to make sense
of, say, photosynthesis through a range of different sorts of processes -
including teacher exposition, small group discussion and practical work -
using a range of devices ands artifacts, in joint activity with each other
and their teacher (plus other adults in the classroom including me) - though
I think my use of the term of joint activity in this sentence is probably a
post hoc rationalisation of what I was seeing at the time. It seemed to me
that in order to understand what was going on here, including the supposed
learning that was going on, I needed to make sense of all of this "activity"
as well as what was happening to the individual child. Now, this seemed to
require multiple levels of analysis and I was, at that time, unaware of any
way of dealing with this problem except that it involved thinking about
context in a radically different way.

My confusion grew even further when working with extracurricular enterprise
projects involving young people running their own small enterprises - along
the lines of Junior Achievement in the US - and trying to fathom out what
the students were learning. What became obvious very early on in our year
long study was that, whatever else was going on, the young people involved
did not conceptualise the process as learning, but rather as "doing", and
yet what I saw as an outside observer was learning in terms of changes in
participation (again I am sure another post hoc rationalisation).

At this point I happened upon Activity Theory via "Yrjo's triangles". What I
thought this allowed me was a variety of different viewpoints, possibly
different levels of analysis, with which to explore the phenomena I was
interested in. I think, possibly incorrectly in the light of the recent
exchanges, that the activity system itself was the unit-of-analysis, but
that I could look at the unit from different perspectives, say from the
perspective of the rules as they developed through time, or at different
levels, say the level of the individual or the level of the group. But I am
no longer sure that this is justified given Paul's comments about Vygotsky's
conception of the unit of analysis. Advice please.

I think Paul is right in saying that we must not multiply units-of-analysis
otherwise the term loses its analytical power. Certainly, this seems to be
happening in the UK with the concept of "community-of-practice" which has
been appropriated by the business community and made synonymous with group,
so that any learning that takes place in a group is considered to be
learning within a "community-of-practice". The concept of "legitimate
peripheral participation" seems to get forgotten in these discourses. I
wonder why?

Geoff Hayward
Lecturer in Educational Studies and SKOPE Research Fellow
University of Oxford
Department of Educational Studies
15 Norham Gardens
Oxford