NCTE Assembly for Research Midwinter Conference February 9-11, 2001

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@peachnet.campuscwix.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 07:03:33 PDT

NCTE Assembly for Research Midwinter Conference
February 9-11, 2001
Berkeley, California

New Literacies for New Times: Bakhtinian Perspectives on
Language, Literacy, and Learning for the 21st Century

This conference is concerned with new ways of becoming literate in these
new times. As our classrooms become more diverse, our notions of literacy
must account for the multiple voices represented by the wide range of
students we teach. Our keynote speakers and workshop leaders all have been
influenced by the theories of Bakhtin and will show how Bakhtin's theories
can prove particularly helpful for framing our thoughts on issues of equity
and social justice in literacy learning. They will consider lessons they
have learned through their research and practice, and they will focus our
attention on important challenges that lie ahead. The workshops and
conversations that take place on Friday will focus on how language embodies
multiple voices and points of view. On Saturday the presentations and round
table discussions will focus on the many ways that literacy functions and
is used in our culture. On Sunday the discussions will be expanded to focus
on issues of learning, both in and out of school. Throughout the weekend
multiple voices from the field will be heard, blending the points of view
of university-based researchers and teacher researchers.

Keynote Speakers & Workshop Presenters Include:

John Baugh
Anne Haas Dyson
James Gee
Kris Gutierrez
Shirley Brice Heath
Carol Lee
Guadalupe Valdes
Representatives from the Bay Area Writing Project

The Conference will be held at University of California, Berkeley Graduate
School of Education. Dean Eugene Garcia will host a Welcome Reception on
Friday evening, February 9, from 5- 7 PM
at the Men's Faculty Club.

Call For Papers

What aspects of Bakhtin's theories are especially pertinent to studies of
language, literacy, and learning? What can his theories help account for?
What are the limitations? How do diverse students acquire written language?
What resources do students bring from their home and community environments
that can help them become literate in school? What knowledge do teachers
need to have in order to meet the needs of varied students? How can teacher
education and professional development programs help teachers to be better
prepared to meet the needs of these diverse students? What challenges of
access (to higher education, to the workplace, to community resources) do
diverse learners face? How does writing function in students' lives? How do
different institutional structures relate to varied students' opportunities
to learn? What are the critically important links among language, literacy
and learning? How do current policy initiatives and reform agendas
(testing, standards, writing across the curriculum) affect literacy
learning in our schools? How have the voices of teacher researchers
contributed to our understanding of these issues? What challenges do
teacher educators and teachers face in preparing to teach in the 21st century?

These and other questions will frame our Midwinter Conference for 2001. We
invite you to submit papers for roundtable presentations and
discussions. Proposals may address methodological or theoretical issues in
conducting literacy research in relation to this year's conference focus,
Perspectives on Language, Literacy, and Learning for the 21st Century. We
welcome proposals that focus on empirical research, reviews, conceptual and
theoretical
papers, and work in progress. Consider this an opportunity to share
related perspectives, questions, issues or research problems about specific
projects.

Proposals (2 single-spaced page limit) should address the following: The
research question(s), methodology, findings/issues/questions for
discussion, and how the research will contribute to the conference
conversation. If your paper is a theoretical one, please describe your
conceptual or philosophical argument and tell how it will contribute to the
conference conversation. Please indicate within the first few lines of the
proposal whether you intend to focus on empirical or conceptual/theoretical
issues.

Send one copy of your proposal to:

Arnetha F. Ball and Sarah Warshauer Freedman, Co-Chairs
NCTE Assembly for Research Midwinter Conference

Sarah Warshauer Freedman/Arnetha F. Ball
School of Education
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720

Proposals must be received by November 9, 2000.
NCTE Assembly for Research Midwinter Conference
February 9-11, 2001
Berkeley, California
Conference Registration Form

Name: ________________________________________________________________________
Address: ______________________________________________________________________
Work Phone: ( ) ______________________ Home Phone: ( )
______________________
E-mail: _____________________________________ Fax: ( )
_____________________
Institutional Affiliation: __________________ Departmental Affiliation:
_________________

Will you be requesting hotel accommodations from the Durant Hotel? Yes
_____ No _____
Have you previously attended the Midwinter Conference? Yes _____ No _____
Are you currently a member of the Assembly? Yes _____ No _____
Membership includes two newsletters and reduced fees at the midwinter
conference
Annual Membership Dues $15 Lifetime Membership $75
Would you like to become a member? Yes ____ No _____
If yes, enclose the membership form included in this newsletter with the
appropriate dues.
         Are you enclosing membership dues along with your conference
registration? Yes __ No ___
Conference Fees:
Regular rate (for assembly members): $95.00 ($115.00 on
site) ____________
Rate for non-members: $110.00 ($130.00 on site) ____________
Full time student rate*: $60.00 ($80.00 on site) ____________
Pre-conference workshop $15.00 ($20.00 on site) ____________
Membership dues $15 regular $75 lifetime ____________
* student conference fee includes free Assembly membership for one year
TOTAL AMOUNT INCLUDED ____________

Registration checks are nonrefundable. Registration will be closed when
enrollment cap (room capacity) is reached. Registration
Deadline: January 9, 2001
Please make checks payable to NCTERA. Mail registration form and fees to:
Caroline T. Clark
Language, Literacy, and Culture
School of Teaching and Learning
222A Ramseyer 29 W. Woodruff Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210-1177
Campus Phone: (614) 688-5449 e-mail: clark.664@osu.edu

Hotel Information: Durant Hotel
2600 Durant Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 845-8981 Reservations: (800) 2 DURANT

Conference rate: Room rates are reduced for conference participants:
$107.00 for single rooms, $117.00 for queens, and $130.00 for double/double
rooms. Please contact the Durant Hotel directly to make your room
reservations. All hotel fees should be sent directly to the Durant
Hotel. You must reserve a room by January 9, 2001 to receive the
conference rate.