Naming Practices: "English Literature" or "Literature in English"

From: Angel Lin (ENANGEL@cityu.edu.hk)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 04:51:48 PDT

Dear XMCA friends,

The Education Ministry of Hong Kong is considering a name change of the
school subject: "English Literature" to "Literature in English" to reflect
more on the nature of the content covered (i.e., including literary works
of writers from non-English-speaking countries). I've been contacted for
any info. on practices elsewhere or trends in naming the "English
Literature" subject in other countries. Could you please fill me in about
any related naming practices in your country? Thanks a lot in advance.

Angel

Angel Lin, Ph.D.(OISE, Toronto)
Assistant Professor, Department of English
City University of Hong Kong
Tat Chee Ave., Kowloon, Hong Kong
Fax: (852) 2788-8894; phone: (852) 2788-8122
E-Mail: enangel@cityu.edu.hk
http://www.cityu.edu.hk/en/staff/angel/angel.html