Re(2): Re(2): Lang embodied?

From: Peter JONES (P.E.Jones@shu.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 02:39:34 PDT

from peter jones
to judy's point - yes, to clarify on this one. social relations between men
and women are definitely not reducible to class analysis and therefore analysis
of social structure in terms of social relations of production (class) alone
will not give us a concrete picture of the whole thing, including gender
relations. so i think we agree on this point. however, i would say (and
possibly you too?) that gender relations, although not reducible to class
relations, cannot be absolutely separated from class relations and antagonisms
(which are the sine qua non of the whole social system). so that gender
inequalities are not the direct, immediate expression of class relations but do
nontheless give expression to class exploitation in a form which is highly
mediated (through all kinds of other, relatively independent factors and
dimensions of social existence, including the family). does this make sense??
with very best wishes to all