Re: Re(2): Lang embodied?

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 15:06:53 PDT

Peter, all this has been very helpful to me -- really clarifying the issues.
So thanks. I do appreciate the analysis of class relations/ modes of
production. Without wanting to, I'm afraid I will be -- we are -- repeating
old arguments, but in new terms. So I say, in response to the compelling
case for a class analysis, that it does not adequately address the
conditions of women then or now, and that women's relations to men -- gender
relations -- are also 'objective' and demand analysis --- but on what terms?
If gender relations do NOT seem to you worthy of consideration within an
agenda for social justice, I need more explanation.
Judy

 and social justice are compatible, the response
>i think is not just to say - 'well that is your perspective but i have a
>different one, and since no perspectives (or cultural narratives) are objective
>then mine is equally valid' (as the postmodernist might say!). for me the
>response to our Labour government representative is: 'you confuse what is a
>fact about social existence today with things as they seem (or you would like
>them to appear) from the standpoint of your own narrow interests, interests
>which are based precisly on the practices of economic exploitation and the
>consequent system of social relations from which you benefit, and indeed from
>which you draw your whole raison d'etre. an all sided (objective) analysis will
>show, however, that capitalist production (and hence capitalist social
>relations) constantly and inevitably produces social inequalities, injustices
>and antagonisms of all kinds, by the very nature of the system (and despite
>people's intentions). but of course in traditional marxian terms this
>'objective' analysis also corresponds to the standpoint of the practice (on a
>world scale) of those social forces which are constantly striving to resist
>this exploitation and in so doing to create the potential for a social
>existence which is not based on exploitation (ie classes).so i'm suggesting
>that this standpoint of practice does not negate the position on objectivity of
>knowledge. i don't know whether you find this convincing or appealing though?
>best wishes to all

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183