a little good news

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 17:35:23 PDT

>Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:31:48 -1000
>From: Larry Loganbill <moloaa@aloha.net>
>
>http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/localnews1.html

Some to whom I am forwarding the URL know the background of the
Honolulu Advertiser story. For those who don't or don't remember,
here's a little history. The point of sending this is to share a nice
story about how happy endings are not impossible As the Advertiser
article notes that the community of Nanakuli on Oahu's Leeward
coast will be the first focus of the restored outreach program.
Nanakuli was the first focus also of an earlier outreach program by
the Estate, in which Roland Tharp and I had a hand. Nanakuli is also
the site of the research that I went to Hawaii to do in 1966. Sharon,
Christine, and I lived a short distance from Nanakuli for two years
beginning in 1966, and we all spent a lot of time there with the
families we got to know.

(A preliminary report on the Nanakuli Project appeared in Gallimore,
R. and Howard, A. (Eds.) (1968). Studies in a Hawaiian community:
Na makamaka O Nanakuli. Pacific Anthropological Records No. l,
Department of Anthropology, B. P. Bishop Museum, Honolulu, l968. An
extended report was presented in Gallimore, R., Boggs, J.W. and
Jordan, C. (1974). Culture, behavior, and education: A study of
Hawaiian-Americans. Beverly Hills: Sage Publications.)

Based on research our team did in Nanakuli, in 1969 I was asked to
advise the Estate of the Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop. They asked
for advice on how to assist the many thousands of Native Hawaiian
youngsters who would never be able to attend the Kamehameha Schools,
an elite private school the Estate had operated in Honolulu since the
1880s. Roland Tharp (who had recently joined the faculty at UHawaii)
and I conducted a six-month, state-wide study and recommended to the
Bishop Estate trustees that they equip the institution with the
knowledge and capacity to assist public schools where most Native
Hawaiian children are educated, while maintaining the high standards
at the Kamehameha Schools which was sending hundreds of Native
Hawaiian children on to higher education.

In 1970, the Estate established the Kamehameha Early (Elem) Education
Project (KEEP), which constructed and operated a lab school for many
years. An extensive outreach program to public schools was begun in
1979, and continued into the mid-1990s when it was abruptly ended by
a new generation of trustees who wanted to emphasize private
schooling and provide no support to public schools. The story of the
lab school & the research is in Tharp & Gallimore, (1989) Rousing
Minds to Life. Cambridge University Press

After most of the trustees were removed by the Hawaii Supreme court
and/or investigated or indicted for crimes, the new leadership
immediately announced they would restore the policies that were put
in place by KEEP in the 1970s, as well as improve the education at
the private school in Honolulu. The new CEO of the Estate is Hamilton
McCubbin, well known for his family research, for example the FACES
III. According to Roland who recently spoke with him on the Estate's
new direction, it seems that there is reason for optimism.

I am happy to see that the outreach program is being restored. It is
especially meaningful for me that the first place work will begin is
in Nanakuli and at Nanaikapono School.

Sometimes there are happier endings.

ron

Ronald Gallimore

    e-mail: ronaldg@ucla.edu
    http://www.ben2.ucla.edu/~ronaldg/
          fax: 310-825-9875
      voice: 310-825-0203
--============_-1251442831==_ma============

<excerpt>Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:31:48 -1000

>From: Larry Loganbill <<moloaa@aloha.net>

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/localnews1.html

</excerpt>

Some to whom I am forwarding the URL know the background of the
Honolulu Advertiser story. For those who don't or don't remember,
here's a little history. The point of sending this is to share a nice
story about how happy endings are not impossible As the Advertiser
article notes that the community of Nanakuli on Oahu's Leeward coast
will be the first focus of the restored outreach program. Nanakuli was
the first focus also of an earlier outreach program by the Estate, in
which Roland Tharp and I had a hand. Nanakuli is also the site of the
research that I went to Hawaii to do in 1966. Sharon, Christine, and I
lived a short distance from Nanakuli for two years beginning in 1966,
and we all spent a lot of time there with the families we got to know.

(A preliminary report on the Nanakuli Project appeared in
(Eds.) (1968). <italic>Studies in a Hawaiian community: Na makamaka O
Nanakuli.</italic> Pacific Anthropological Records No. l, Department
of Anthropology, B. P. Bishop Museum, Honolulu, l968. An extended
report was presented in Gallimore, R., Boggs, J.W. and Jordan, C.
(1974). <italic>Culture, behavior, and education: A study of
Hawaiian-Americans.</italic> Beverly Hills: Sage
Publications.</bigger></fontfamily>)