Lang embodied?

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 08:39:36 PDT

A wink and a nod for the ways in which collective meaning-making can be tripped up, as communication is transformed by the ExtrA processes (as in email). It's more than not enough bandwidth on a channel, or comparative differences in multiplexed communication, i.e. email vs. f2f . It is also IntrA processes shaped through months and years of prior interaction that contribute to what is taken up, how in the interaction, the IntrO and IntrA processes contribute to interpretation/transformation, especially when information entering and traveling through narrow ExtrA channels, that would otherwise constrain IntrA, is lean, as in email.

I don't see a dialectics fit, Judy. When I look through the lens of semiotic ecology, there is no 'struggling of opposing principles' but rather a unity of people and things (natural and cultural, but all natural when push comes to shove) as making up the universe, and inclusively, making up our meaning of it. Heh.

If Alfred is tuned in, his thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley College
29 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
 and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]