RE: Language and ideality

From: nate_schmolze@yahoo.com
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 12:49:20 PDT

Thanks Paul,

I enjoyed the quotes and what I have read so far in Chapter 8. It definately gave me a
different impression of the ideal that the canvas quote.

His emphasis on activity and practice was useful for me, and in general there was a lot I
agreed with.

You said something to Diane that I'd like to take up.

" Human practice that fails to conform to the independent structures, the ecological
parameters of the material world (e.g., the Anasazi, the lowland Maya, the
20th century global civilization?) quite simply autodestructs--no gas in the
tank, no drive-- that's pretty objective and doesn't admit of regionally
applicable truths except in "make-believe"."

In the crisis Vygotsky critiques the behaviorists assertion that they simply deal with "facts"
and puts forth an argument for why this wasn't so. The "fact" of independent structures,
ecological parameters of the material world" do not exist in themselves. That knowledge most
of the time is mediated by some ideology or theory whether explicit or implicit. Recently I
looked through a "how to do" book on grounded theory and frankly it was the most
theoretically loaded book I ever read.

The "fact" that over production of land in the mountains through central and south america
tells us nothing about poor peasents being removed from fertile by the rich landlords and
American corporations and put on the mountains to survive. The news of course stated the
dead were a result of a "natural" disaster - there is frankly nothing natural about it. Or how
one teacher I worked with upon seeing garbage thrown everywhere in the poor communities
in Brasil, told the students that they (the poor) need to be taught how to take care of their
community. The so called progressive ideals of enviromentalism often come at the price of
the poor. We, say no more landfills in my back yard, and 9 times out of ten they end up in
some poor community.

It seems to me that to say that facts are simply objective, neutral or the like is one of the most
hideous forms of power.

Nate