RE: Essence and objectivity

From: nate_schmolze@yahoo.com
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 19:41:00 PDT

Paul,

It is not so much an accepting or denying of "objectivity" but questioning what is lost in the
objective progression of knowledge that you outlined. I think history is important, but see it
more "historically specific" than "historically progressive".

So, where in your example there is historical progress with the Egyptions, Greeks and
onward - I question what is lost in what Foucault would call the fiction of progress. It seems
to me the triangle has a historical specifity to the Egyptions that differed from the Greeks and
so on.

I do however think your description of the triangle gets to the root of the issue with me, and
that is at what price does objectvity cost. What do we lose when we exclude all that is not
essential - to me what gets lost is the rich cultural-historical aspect of human experience. It
seems to me its essence would be shape, color, and size for the preschooler, angles and the
like when they get older etc. What is interesting to me about the triangle is I see them in
preschools, on sail boats, pyramids - and various other artifacts, and they were/are essential
for dividing plots, yet have yet to see one in the so called natural world. I mean a little child
may draw a leaf on a picture that looks like a triangle, but have yet to see a leaf that
resembles one.

My concerns with objectivity - and I mean scientific here - has a political twist. It seems the
left (what ever that is) has too long assumed if they could demonstrate truth objectively
everyone would fall in line. We see the right taking control and the left says "that's not
supported by research" - frankly no one cares. As one enviromentalist locally argued its a
moral not a scientific issue.

It seems to me there are countless examples of "objectivity" being used to naturalize cultural
experience and in that sense I think objectivity has a social function and here I mean a
function of power.

I am really looking forward to others ideas, I am more or less a cynic when it comes to
objectivity. I would also be curious to how mediation and language fit into the discussion. I
too have found the discussion interesting thus far.

Nate