Re: Re(2): object of activity

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@mail.lesley.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 15:19:38 PDT

Ay me, this object kills me!
(TITUS ANDRONICUS,Act 3, Scene 1)

At 01:54 PM 5/23/00 -0600, Diane Hodges wrote:

>It is probably necessary to be a woman (ultimate guarantee of sociality
>beyond the wreckage of the paternal symbolic function, as well as the
>inexhaustible generator of its renewal, of its expansion) not to renounce
>theoretical reason but to compel it to increase its power by giving it an
>object beyond its limits...
>(Julia Kristeva, Desire in Language, 113)
>

>xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>>"Now the physicist, himself, who describes all this, is, in his own
>>account,
>>himself constrcuted of it. He is, in short, made of a conglomeration of
>>the
>>very particulars he describes, no more, no less, bound together by and
>>obeying such general laws as he himself has managed to find and to record.
>>
>>"Thus we cannot escape the fact that the world we know is constructed in
>>order (and thus in such a way as to be able) to see itself.
>>
>>"This is indeed amazing."
>>

>>G. Spencer Brown - "Laws of Form"

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Technology in Education
Lesley College, 29 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
 and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]