Re: crisis in psychology

From: Pedro R. Portes (prport01@louisville.edu)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 11:49:28 PDT

diane,,

what a timely post!

I feel that the chat issue you raise etc is to the point. So far, I
think few have had an understanding of CH and AT at about the same time
exactly
 so many like me are finding about AT after CH, think they are kindred
sisters, in relation to the non CHAT that is......so
I have this psudoconcept that the we
we call or identify as chat will eventually end up as strange bedPartners
 as you note

Psychol. materialism, (if i understand you correctly..) is a sort of
logical positivism but with one direction and goal in mind...., hence your

>2 - all concepts are authored, so the notion that any concept might be
>universalized seems a wee bit misguided, n'est pas? concepts do not exist
>as
>facts, but as languages and particular semantic tendencies of any one
>particular
>writer -

Regarding how CH is orthogonal to AT

Your point below. (potentially . infinite..).....seems exactly what I find
as we seek to discover some of the implications of a CH ---> AT approach
and/or AT---->CH might be.

(is it a cat chasing its tail??)

so, in CHAT, the cultural-historical is potentially infinite in
>its meanings,

yes.....(to me)
 CH is a world view, a way of understanding practice, a theory about why
some practices emerge and others fall (but can it be used to study it
self????)

>and still, AT, it seems, is rather precise in its meanings, based on common
>understandings of its central concepts -
>
>to me, this hints of irreconcilable and confusing contradictions in
>application and analysis of CH-AT - but perhaps i am
>missing something. Are there those who are only interested in Activity,
>without the cultural-historical dimensions?
>are there those who are interested in the cultural-historical dimensions
>in absentia
>of the specific concepts that organize the Activity?
>
>how many branches of C-H-A-Theories emerge from CHAT?
>is a logical analysis inherent to any of these divergences?
>
>many questions. thought i only had two.

Pretty good ?'s..

perhaps some ones listening know more?? mine are only impressions,
emotional reactions to constructions

pedro
Pedro R. Portes, Ph.D
Professor of Educational