Problems w/MCA Web Pages

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 11:41:50 PDT

Folks,

Please remember that I am not on the xmca mailing list, so if you
respond to one of my messages *to* the list, you have to Cc: me
or I will not see your response.

Now, to the problems with MCA.

I went through my error logs for the webserver and find that
there are a couple of bad addresses out there for the Portes
paper - most notably:
         http://communication.ucsd.edu/MCA/Paper/portes.html
(which should be .../Portes/portes.html)

While some folks are still having problems getting to the website,
it appears that there is nothing wrong with the server per se.

There is some weirdness with some versions of Internet Explorer,
which change the address from:

         http://communication.ucsd.edu/MCA/
         http://communication.ucsd.edu:8080/MCA/

which should not cause problems (8080 is the alternate port for http
requests on a server). However, if the address is getting changed
so that colon between .edu and 8080 is turned into a slash, so the
address looks like this:

         http://communication.ucsd.edu/8080/MCA/

Then you're going to get a "404: page not found" error.

When it comes to web pages that don't load all the material, the
only thing I can think of is that there is some latency in the
network and the bits are getting dropped.

In terms of actual use, there have been 2149 successful hits on the
MCA website so far this month, and only actual 23 errors.

When you find a problem, please send me the following info:

1. Type and version of your browser (e.g., Netscape 4.6b, or
   Internet Explorer 5.0)
2. URL as shown in the location window of the browser when it
   returns the 404 error.

We'll get to the bottom of this yet.

bj

-