Re: RE: Re(2): psychoanalysis and...CHAT

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 06:17:39 PDT

nate writes:
>In particular the whole discussion about signified / signifind is proving
>very interesting to me. Both Walkerdine and Butler use this extensively.
>Just to say I think there was an important relationship there and one that
>can be useful to consider for the future of CHAT.
>
>In particular for me is how it can offer a way to theorize the individual
>(subject) that is not isolated from the cultural-historical. I am
>personally
>finding myself being less satisfied with developmentalism on each passing
>day, and for me theorists like Walkerdine, Butler etc. and the way they
>theorize the subject has something important to offer CHAT.
>
>NATE

i am completely dissatisfied with developmental theory, actually, and i
agree, that
Walkerdine and Butler have much to contribute to CHAT, in terms of
understanding the subject as gendered and sexualized, something that is
fundamental to
any understanding of any activity,... again, I can only wonder why
these necessary and critical understandings remain absent in the
development of
the theory...
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu