Re:AERA

From: Kathryn_Alexander@sfu.ca
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 17:21:23 PDT

thanks Pedro,

My apologies for seeming to bait you Pedro, I was not at AERA, so am not
aware of the hot issues, however, the Vygotsky's will be coming to
Canada this summer to present on the Gold Key Schools, and our Faculty
of Ed. is sponsoring a Vygotsky Institute which I will be attending. I'll
be passing along some information on this event soon I hope.

but your point is well taken, and I can imagine that this is a complex
issue to discuss, cross culturally, cross disciplinarily and so on.

>My hunch is that there is so much diversity in how LSV is being
>used/applied today worldwide that the authenticity issue is hot hot hot..
>for many it is not LSV only but AT or CHAT and each community of practice
>"hears", interprets according to particular frames of reference, contexts
>and available artefacts..

I will be thinking more about this as the weeks unfold. I think it is this
issue of how discourse has bigger effects that exceeds the 'person/ text/
teacher/" intentions which is so facinating.

In any event, I look forward to meeting Elena and Gita Vygotsky in
Vancouver this July.

Kathryn