Re: RE: activity/reproduction/power

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 22 2000 - 08:00:28 PDT

and judy writes:
>Right on about the 'out there'-ness of ideology/ critical discourse theory
>for academics. As if it had nothing to do with who we are _here_... Now.
>I'm
>not w/ you, though, re: ideology as a paradox of activity. Is this from
>nate's previous message? Or is yr notion of activity in fact in
>contradiction to a notion of ideology??

i think ideology is a shared belief system that operates to suppress
difference by representing only the desired Dominant belief system -
producing it as the Normal way for humans to be acting in the world ...

- I recall struggling with Marx's suggestion that any method is
ideological, because it must refuse an other method in order to prove or
substantiate its effectivity - i think the contradiction is in the
the Discourses of Activity, in that these seem to be located in a site
that observes
alongside of power, rather than acknowledging the essentialized position
of power from which to observe the
activities of others - it is the position of power from which we speak
as authors of Discourse (producers of theory) that enables a certain
dominance
in observing the activity of Others. i think this is where the paradox
simmers.

diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu