Re: Workplace enculturation and authority

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 05:32:23 PDT

Elizabeth -- sounds as if you are on a very interesting path.

I'd say read Jean Lave and Etienne Wenger's Legitimate Peripheral
Participation, a small book put out by Cambridge U Press in 1991 (sorry, I
don't have it in front of me right now so this may not be 100% correct) which
will help you get from thinking of acculturation as an exchange to thinking of
it as initiation into a context of activity -- from ladders to circles.

I'd love to hear how you came to choose this topic.

Helena Worthen, Assistant Professor
University of Illinois
Chicago Labor Education Program