RE: April Discussion Paper

From: Navarro, Virginia L. (virginia_navarro@UMSL.EDU)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 10:33:06 PDT

Peter,
I only have had time to read half of your paper but I also was impressed
with the clarity of your explanations about how new text gets created in the
process of Bakhtinian appropriation. the more I get immersed in the
"unfinalizability" of how things come to mean individually and collectively
over time, the more I am amazed that our human tools of communication allow
us to bridge the spaces of time and place in ways that can get things done
in connected ways that resonate "creative understandings" of the new hybrid
thought or event.

I would like to use this paper (or the AERA final draft) this summer in a
seminar on sociocultural theory if that is acceptable to you. Thank you for
the great read Virginia

Virginia Navarro, Ph.D.
University of Missouri, St. Louis
8001 Natural Bridge Road