Re: Collective subject

From: Helena Worthen (hworthen@igc.org)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 05:31:53 PDT

Nate -- You're right. "Collective subject" could have been a typo. But I meant
to underscore that when someone is acting as a representative of others in this
context, he or she is really a different entity than when he or she is acting
as an individual.

This distinction comes out of the National Labor Relations Act which creates a
category of legally protected activity when one is carrying out "concerted
activity... for mutual aid or protection." There's a whole stream of legal
rights and responsibilities that flows with this. It's a lovely concept.

Helena