Collective subject

From: Nate (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 06:24:19 PDT

Helena,

In reading your last message and labor paper I have found your reference to
collective subject interesting.

The reason its standing out and I would welcome an elaboration is I have
understood collective subject as referring to more than one person. A unit
of analysis of a group of people (e.g union members)rather than a single
individual (union member).

What has caught my attention with your use of the word is a collective
subject can refer to one individual. Would this be accurate, or am I reading
too much into it?

Nate

Nate Schmolze
http://www.geocities.com/nate_schmolze/
schmolze@students.wisc.edu

****************
"Overcoming the naturalistic concept of mental development calls for a
radically new approach
to the interrelation between child and society. We have been led to this
conclusion by a
special investigation of the historical emergence of role-playing. In
contrast to the view
that role playing is an eternal extra-historical phenomenon, we hypothesized
that role playing emerged at a specific stage of social development, as the
child's position in society changed
in the course of history. role-playing is an activity that is social in
origin and,
consequently, social in content."

                              D. B. El'konin