RE: sense and meaning

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 07:03:42 PDT

Hi Jay and everybody--

Jay, I really like your points. I'd like to make one clarification. I think
I created some confusion. Ilyenkov's notion of Ideal is much bigger than
smysl and includes znachenie as well (so there is Ideal as smysl and Ideal
as znachenie and they are not in opposition to each other). According to
Ilyenkov, Ideal also includes ideology (e.g., money fetishism like, "Money
make money"). Ilyenkov was a philosopher and not a psychologist and his
concepts were philosophical. Ideal includes any psychological, social,
cultural, and historical aspect of phenomena that generated by
socio-historico-cultural activities and practices.

Jay wrote,
> This seems to be a way of getting the social Ideal, the more
> objective social-fact sort of meaning-potential or meaning-typicality of
> the znachenie-meaning linked into the more personal
> smysl-meaning, so that
> the latter does not appear as totally idiosyncratic and arbitrary. This
> seems very reasonable to me. We make meaning, but we do not make
> it just as
> we please. What we mean on any given occasion may be unique, but
> the way we
> make it deploys words and other signs that have a degree of
> conventionalization in their comprehensible uses. The more we
> deviate from
> their typical uses (and we can do this), the more local social
> work we have
> to do to get our innovations understood. Whether cliche or coinage, the
> social is never absent from meaningful communication. Even in the most
> idiosyncratic smysl, the meaning arises in part from our participation in
> socially recognizable activities (eating) and our use of not totally
> unexpected signs ('bread').

Soviet culturologist Losev argued that separation on personal and social is
a socio-historico-cultural construct that appeared in some moment of history
of societies (namely when cities and property appeared). I wonder how the
idea of personal as totally idiosyncratic and arbitrary historically has
developed (I mean what circumstances and social relations pushed for this
concept).

What do you think?

Eugene