RE: how far?

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 15:00:55 PDT

On Tuesday, April 04, 2000 9:16 PM, Nate [SMTP:schmolze@students.wisc.edu]
wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I agree strongly with your statement about "passive consent". I think
any
> material used from one's message should have an explicit asking for
> permission. I was uncomfortable with the initial "passive consent" out of
> the context Eva mentioned.
>

> I guess I feel it should be considered no different than seeking
permission
> / consent for any "site" one would do research in. First, one would seek
> permission to have acess to the site (passive consent"), and then
permission
> would be sought (explicitly) from specific individuals whose discourse
will
> be used as part of the research. I am not comfortable with what I saw
Bruce
> hinting at, "having a right to reply", because that would change the
whole
> context. I think it should be a flat yes/no question although I agree
with
> Bruce more details might be useful in allowing one to make a yes/no
> decision.

That wasn't what I meant - perhaps it wasn't clear. I meant that I was
giving an unconditional 'Yes' and obviously not demanding a right to reply
in the paper to whatever Judy wrote. What I said was that 'The only
ultimate guarantee against being misquoted is having a right to reply', by
which what I meant was that if I disagreed with how she interpreted what I
had said I would say why. I wasn't seeking to exercise any right of veto on
what she wrote in advance of its publication.

Bruce

****