RE: libelous comments

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@ped.gu.se)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 13:15:36 PDT

At 18.57 +0100 0-04-04, Bruce Robinson scrobe:
>I've attached an article from the Guardian on this. Hope the formatting is OK.

Thanks Bruce. That was informative.

At least, hearing it was on a newsgroup (as opposed to chat) explained the
relative permanence of the material to me. So the outcome of this case
might be that UK ISPs will be less willing to host newsgroups on their
servers, possibly... I mean, if ISPs were held liable for any piece of
email passing over their domains, or everything one of their customers
happens to request from the web over their software sluices... the mind
boggles. It is more understandable that libel law can be applied to
material in more or less permanent storage with them... but there are many
questions about this, as well.

I have no idea about the legal complexities of most of them. But I do think
they are relevant for us. As usual one thing makes me associate to
something related but different, and I dug up something I remembered from
my browsing in the older Xlist archives, from a context where there was
discussion about a new rise of McCarthyism, and the possibility of
listening FBI ears on the Net... and other immingled stuff as usual. Joe
Glick posted something that I hereby take the liberty of re-presenting,
hoping that my impression (my mere impression) that Joe would not mind is
correct. I AM floating it again because I find it wise and beautiful, and
sort of relevant to the lawsuit issue (as well as to our musings over what
can be respectfully done with texts on the XMCA.

Thoughtfully yours
Eva

>Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1991 09:15:30 EST
>From: Joe Glick
>Subject: listeners and democratic forces
>To: xlchc@UCSD.BITNET

<snip some material more dated than what follows>