RE: sense/meaning

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 06:47:03 PDT

Hi Ana and everybody--

Yes.

In my view, there are many ways to share personal smysl-meaning.
Articulation and use of conventional signs is only one way to do that.
Another is to engage other people in your personal intentions, goals,
volitions, responsibilities. In this case, smysl-meaning is shared and
coordinated but not necessarily articulated. For example, when you encounter
an unfamiliar word in reading a book, you can try to articulate it for
yourself by using a dictionary or you can get along with its use of the
author in hope that you will get it later. If you choose the second
approach, even if you get the word, you may have trouble to articulate for
yourself and others what it means.

Back to Vygotsky, I think he always prioritized meaning making through
articulation (and literacy) over engagement as developmentally more advanced
(like school does).

> Also, it is interesting to note constant fluctuations between the
> developmental directions (from smysl to znachenie and from znachenie to
> smysl).
> I would also like to add that what is usually being taken for the
> development of meaning is in fact the development of the
> conventionalizations of signs. The other, not less important
> aspect of the
> development of meaning is the development of very complex and
> multi layered
> "senses" (smysl's) which always carry their historical
> trajectories within
> themselves.

Yes, smysl-meaning is always a network. Smysl-meaning is a whole that has
itself as a part.

What do you think?

Eugene