Re: sense/meaning

From: Ana Shane (shane@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 20:40:39 PDT

Hi,
I have always made a distinction between sense and meaning. Vygotsky's own
explanation was somewhat unclear, but I tried to interpret it (and to make
sense of it for me!!) as a distinction between a process and a product:
- "meaning" being a something somewhat static, socially stabilized
(literal), more conventional across different activities and groups.
- "sense" being something that gets built up (constructed) in any concrete
context, more as a process of "meaning it" (read it as a verb), something
that exists only as a concrete resolution of all components (whatever they
are) and therefore not completely verbally explicit because it is the sum
of all individual, historical and concrete contextual social processes at
that moment...

Does that make sense???

Ana