Re: Peter's paper

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@peachnet.campuscwix.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 13:02:23 PST

I hope primarily to listen to discussion of this paper, rather than
contribute, given that I've already been given a too-long turn in this
conversation. Just to respond briefly to Nate's questions:

I'm comfortable with the word codification in the context of this
discussion. I think it fits with the language of genre studies that are
complementary to the lens I use to discuss the composition and reading of
texts. I'd be interested to see if others have the same response as Nate's.

As I was working on the paper I was editing a paper written by Mark Faust
which argues against strong-text versions of reading. I ended up
positioning myself between Faust and strong-text reading theorists. In my
paper I reference an article by Jim Wertsch (Written Communication, 1999)
in which Wertsch talks about the ways in which texts are produced in
dialogue with other texts. I borrow from Wertsch's article in my reference
to the ways in which reading, as well as writing, is emplotted, or situated
dialogically among other texts. This is a long-winded way of saying that
my use of the word codification came in dialogue with my reading of Faust,
for whom the textual inscription of codes and conventions is a lesser
concern than it is for me. (Faust's paper will appear in the August, 2000
Research in the Teaching of English).

On Nate's second question: The teacher, Cindy O'Donnell-Allen, often spoke
of the influence of her mother (a kindergarten teacher) on her high school
teaching. (This point comes out in greater detail in the original articles
that are referenced in the xmca paper.) In some of the earlier work of
mine that I reference in the xmca paper, I make the case that it is
conventional to assume that drawing is a developmental stage on the way to
writing, but that this only betrays a cultural bias; it's also possible, if
values on symbol systems are altered, to view writing as contributing
developmentally to one's drawing ability. The instructional purpose of
using art to interpretation (often in conjunction with writing) was to
allow for multiple, mutually-informing avenues for students to construct
meaning for texts. At any rate, the drawings produced by the high school
seniors reported in the xmca paper and other publications might indeed be
confused with the work of elementary school students, at least in terms of
artistic skill. The purpose of interpreting literature artistically,
however, was to use art expressively (as a tool for thinking about literary
characters) and designatively (to represent and then reflect on
relationships). The skill of the art was less important. Some students
did indeed express concern that this was kindergarten work and to them,
this was a cause to worry that they were not doing college-prep work. To
Cindy, this was a verification that her class incorporated the aspects of
creativity, play, collaboration, and discovery that make kindergartens such
dynamic learning environments, particularly in contrast to the typically
monologic processes of secondary school English classes. Cindy's view was
shared by some students in the class. We viewed the uneven endorsement as
evidence of the students' enculturation to conventional ways of doing
school rather than as evidence that her teaching was not accompanied by
high expectations. Again, these points are elaborated in the original
studies that this paper draws on.

My apologies for going on at length; I look forward to other responses to
the paper.

Peter