Re: emulsifying bilingualism

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 09:44:24 PST

jay sez:
>It is perfectly possible to look in great detail at many of the
>dimensions
>of variability and complexity in these real situations without reifying
>the
>works of purification that enable some people to make grand theories and
>bask in their grandeur. Good for basking, and maybe for getting rich; but
>not for helping figure out how to help real people in real situations.
>Every theoretical notion that is not a provisional, dispensable,
>modifiable
>tool is a trap someone else has set for us. What we need theoretical
>sophistication for is to make useful ad-hoc theory, not to use theories
>ready-made.
>
>Morph. Emulsify. Invaginate. Travesty. Play. JAY.

transmutate! genre-fibulate. how perfectly formulerrific!!!
thanks for that breath of lingua-funsity jay.
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu