Butler and translation

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 09:26:55 PST

Mike writes:
>I find, when we discuss problems of translation among key concepts in
>different languages, and I think it would be interesting to have the
>range extended.

Most non US XMCAers are bilingual. The work of My colleague here in
Bangor, Colin Baker, takes a fairly orthodox approach to the study of
bilingualism and bilingual education. The mainstream finidings tend to
support bilingualism when literacy in more than one language is achieved
(there is nothing worse than being illiterate in several languages and
literate in none).

This begs questions in terms of definitions of what we mean by "literate"
etc. and what interprestations we put on speaking one, two, three
langauges etc.

 The model he, and his fellow researchers around the world seem to adopt
is the notion of having multiple mediation systems ( not a phrase they
would use) as being distinctly advantageous for learners providing them
with multiple perspectives(although it hasn't helped my spelling). It
sounds a bit too easy. Can anyone point me to sources in the cultural
historic (or as Mike pointed out socio-cultural) world, which specifically
look at bilingualism without is being perceived as a "problem" << We have
affirmative action fro bilingualism here.... so it is not viewed as a
"problem" but we need to justify the benefits>>.

Martin O
PS As a tailpeiece to the Erewhon. One of my country's famous poet (Dylan
Thomas) set his radio-play "Under Milkwood" in the village of Llaregub, a
typically Welsh sounding place name, and quite eponymous... we can be a
bit backward too!