Re: Naciremas

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@ped.gu.se)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 08:32:53 PST

At 07.59 -0600 0-03-12, Rosa Graciela Montes scrobe:
>Well, what I heard was that the land of the Naciremas was out in the Styx.
>Or beyond some such big river. My memory fails me. Rosa

My external memory happens to contain a very interesting anthropological
study by Horace Miner from 1956 about *Body Ritual among the Nacirema*
which describes the shrines devoted to these private and secrete rituals in
every home: "The more powerful individuals in the society have several
shrines in their houses and, in fact, the opulence of a house is often
referred to in terms of the number of such ritual centers it possesses.
Most houses are of wattle and daub construction, but the shrines of the
more wealthy are walled with stone. Poorer families imitate the rich by
applying pottery plaques to their shrine walls." Am. Anthropologist 58, pp
503-507

cheers
Eva (quoting again)