for Eugene

From: Polin, Linda (Linda.Polin@pepperdine.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 14:35:55 PST

I think you are thinking of the postal problem in math class versus the
same problem in social studies class...?

Saljo, R. & Wyndhamm, J. (1993). Solving everyday problems in the formal
setting: An empirical study of the school as a context for thought, in
Chaiklin, S. & Lave, J. (eds). Understanding practice: Perspesctives on
activity and context. Cambridge Univ Press.

        Linda P.

Hi everybody--

I'd like to ask you for help. I remember reading a study about comparing
kids' problem solving in math at school and in post office using
mathematically isomorphic tasks. Can you provide references, please?

I'd appreciate your help,

Eugene

Eugene Matusov
School of Education