RE: a belated answer

From: Nate (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 08:24:49 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Eva Ekeblad [mailto:eva.ekeblad@ped.gu.se]
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 9:13 AM
To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: RE: a belated answer

As for the Kuusisto quote, yes I really liked his description of his joint
activity with the dog. And that comment about "I thought the dogs read the
streetlights" is well worth thinking about. It is all too easy to think
carelessly about disabled people.

Eva

Once upon a time in an Ed Policy class an instructor read a wonderful
narrative about a child (deaf) who went out to play and met another child
(disabled?). Upon returning home the mother asked the child (deaf) how his
day went, the child responded we had fun but he (disabled ?) does not talk
normally, he just keeps moving his lips. The mother then explained that
most people do not speak with their hands but with their lips.

I also love the story Vygotsky tells about a friend who was deaf. The deaf
friend applauded at the end of a concert, and the gentleman next to him
commented, "Why are you applauding, you can't hear". The deaf friend
responded, "but I can hear, I hear with my feet". Vygotsky was also very
critical of the assumption that to be blind is to live in darkness.

Nate