Re: Re(2): what is community?

From: Paul Dillon (dillonph@northcoast.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 13:00:19 PST

Phillip,

the prisoner's work sounds interesting, i'd like to hear more about that.

As to the examples of Act Up and Queer Nation would seem to involve a much
broader socio-political movement so I'm not sure that they would be
applicable to the specific problem I am trying to deal with. . I was
active in both the civil rights and the anti-Vietnam war movement during the
60s and 70s. I'm very familiar with the kind of collective critical
analysis of actions, ongoing activities, etc. that function in such
political contexts. I think that process is important. But in the case of
the political activities there is already a common sense of purpose. Is
that the case with the Act Up and Queer Nation examples?

The problem here is slightly different since there isn't any common identity
other than that elusive "community", a much less tangible identity/purpose
than an open identification as a non-white, against the war, or queer. Our
project aims to (a) introduce an artifact--in this case a species of WAN of
Community Technology Centers (CTCs) into (b) an existing group of
organizations that serve (c) overlapping communities of clients/members
(primarily area youth).

I trying to systematically, as called for by the model of what we're doing
and that might allow accumulation/comparability of the experiences, to
provide for collection of information. Specify the categories, types,
processes, scheduling of collection, etc. The problem is to make that
information systematic, simple, and clearly relevant to the particular
sometimes divergent objectives of the participants while at the same time
leading them to bring their existing ways of framing things into question.
The goal is to introduce the evaluation process as a fundamental, ongoing
element of the project, one that project participants themselves carry out .

Paul H. Dillon