Gee/Social Mind

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 12:29:11 PST

Funny, I was just reading Jim Gee's The Social Mind. Got me thinking
about the relation between the concepts "activity" and "practice."
Then Diane's message sets off a discussion of Foucault, and sure
enough, Gee draws on both Foucault and the concept of cultural
practice (maybe he uses the term social practice, I am not sure.

But the question of how theory and practice relate in Foulcaudian
and Activity Theory approaches certainly seems worth exploring.

I found the book quite stimulating and look forward to teaching
from it. It includes, you will be pleased to know, a discussion
of soul!

Signed,
A local lichnost'